Fly and Cruise — Sea Explorer
Short on time? Don't want to experience the potentially rough seas of the Drake Passage? Then this adventure may be the one for you.
Jumping over Cape Horn and the mythical waters of the Drake Passage, we invite you to a unique experience that will take you to one of the most remote places on earth, the coldest, highest, windiest, driest, and most inhospitable continent - Antarctica.
In less than 2 hours of flying from Punta Arenas to King George Island, the largest Island of the South Shetland Archipielago, you will be at the gates of the white continent.
From King George Island we will navigate along the Antarctic Peninsula, visiting the most wonderful places and enjoying the best wildlife sites of Antarctica. During the whole journey you will receive lectures to introduce and inform you about this wonderful Continent. We are sure this will be the trip of your lifetime.
Veteran Antarctic aircraft pilots, experienced sea captains, an international team of polar guides and academics, and a team of seasoned travel professionals come together to create the Fly and Cruise experience.
These trips offer high staff/traveller ratio. Travel with at least twelve polar guides. Professional, experienced, and passionate. They are a well-staffed team of extraordinary leaders and experts. Charming and engaging, they will make your trip memorable.
The Airplane: BAE-146
The BAe 146 was manufactured in the United Kingdom by British Aerospace (which later became part of BAE Systems).
It is a high-wing aircraft with very short runaway requirements which makes it particularly suited for this kind of destinations. It is operated by Aerovías DAP,which has more than 20 years of experience of flying in Patagonia and Antarctica.
Model: BAE 146-200
Engines: 4 turbofans Honeywell ALF 502R-5
Length: 93 ft 8 in (28,55 m)
Wingspan: 86 ft 5 in (26,34 m)
Cruise speed: 465 mph (750 km/h)
Service ceiling: 31,200 ft (9.500 m)
Capacity: 71 passengers
The Ship: Sea Explorer
Sea Explorer is a small, all-suite expedition vessel. She was built in 1992 and refurbished and redecorated in 2005. Several improvements have been made since. With an ice-strengthened hull, Sea Explorer offers an exclusive and stylish base for adventurous exploration in Antarctica. Although the vessel has capacity for up to 110 guests, we will accommodate a maximum of 71 travelers on our Air-Cruises, further increasing the comfort of our guests.
The ship offers six different categories of accommodation. All Suites are spacious, with premium appointments throughout. Each Suite features a sitting area, a private bathroom, a picture window, and two twin beds that, on request, can be joined to form a queen-size bed. Several Suites include private balconies accessed via a sliding door. Triple cabins feature a sofa bed.
Public areas include “The Club” (panorama lounge), a Library, a Lounge with audio-visual facilities, a Dining room, a wraparound Sun Deck with Jacuzzi, an Exercise Room, a Medical Clinic and an elevator serving all passenger decks. The ship has a fleet of 10 Zodiac boats that are used for exploration in Antarctica.
Expedition Staff & Crew: 85
Passengers: 71 (maximum capacity 110)
Lifeboats: 4 partially enclosed, capacity of 192
Length: 90.6 m
Breadth: 15.3 m
Draft: 5.14 m
Propulsion: 2 main engines – 3,520 kW
Ice Class: 1C
Cruising Speed: 12.5 knots
· Transfers airport/hotel on the first and last day of the voyage, as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
· Overnight stays in Punta Arenasas indicated in program corresponding to each voyage.
· Flight from Punta Arenas to Frei Station on King George Island and/or vice versa as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
· Ship cruise along the Antarctic Peninsula as indicated in the program corresponding to each voyage.
· Full board including all drinks at meals.
· All guided shore excursions.
· Lectures and entertainment on board.
· Comprehensive pre- and post-voyage information material.
· Loan of waterproof boots for landing in Antarctica.
· Accommodation, meals and transfers other than those included in the Travel Program corresponding to each voyage.
· Personal insurances.
· Extra expenses (communication, laundry, souvenirs, etc.).
· Tips (suggested USD 10-15 per person per day).
· Visas or Passport expenses and/or any other arrival and/or departure tax, if applicable.
Fly and Cruise — Sea Explorer Deck Plan