One of the most modern and up-to-date vessels cruising the polar seas, the Akademik Sergei Vavilov was built in Finland in the late 1980's as a state-of-the-art research vessel. The 382 ft., 1A2 Ice Rated ship has been converted to a very comfortable passenger vessel carrying only 110 passengers, all in outside cabins. Combination dining room/lecture room, bar, library, lounge, sauna, gift shop, hospital, and laundry, complete the picture. World-class chefs prepare an International menu, and an expert staff from Canada, Australia, United Kingdom, and USA make sure passengers enjoy a total experience. A fleet of Zodiac inflatables shuttle passengers from the ship to landings.
"The Vavilov and it's sister ship, the Ioffe, are 2 of the most advanced research vessels afloat. The Vavilov is impressive and neat as a pin,..which is refered to as 'Bristol Condition' in sailing terms. The ship is operated by one of the largest and oldest shipping companies. Polar Cruises have sailed on this ship many times and are always impressed with the service and the ship."
• If arrival is after noon the day prior to embarkation, group transfer to a hotel, then on the day of embarkation from hotel to the ship.
• If arrival is on the day of embarkation, group transfer to the town of Longyearbyen for independent exploration, then at 16:00 (4 PM) local time, a group transfer from a pre-arranged location to the ship. (Luggage will be delivered to the ship directly from the airport.)
• On the day of disembarkation, group transfer from the ship to the airport.
• Any airfare.
• Optional kayaking.
• Passport and visa expenses.
• Government arrival and departure taxes.
• Any meals ashore with the exception of breakfast at the host hotel before embarkation.
• Baggage, cancellation and medical travel insurance.
• Excess baggage charges.
• Laundry, bar, beverage and other personal charges.
• Telecommunications charges.
• The customary gratuity at the end of the voyage for Hospitality Team members, ship’s crew and Expedition Team members.
Staff & Crew: 53
Breadth: 18.28 m
Propulsion: 5,000 KW diesel twin engine
Ice Class: KM*L1(1)A2, Canadian Type B
Cruising Speed: 14.5 knots in open water
Cabins and Amenities:
* All cabins have exterior views
* Cabins have either shared, semi-private or private facilities (See deck plan)
* One dining room with unreserved seating.
* Theatre-style presentation room.
* Lounge and bar, open late afternoon and evening with a wide selection of wines and spirits.
* Library with a collection of polar-themed books.
* Ship-to-shore communications via satellite.
* Clinic with licensed doctor.
* Gym, sauna and swimming pool.
* One elevator between passenger deck levels and to the Bridge level.
|Per Person USD|
Rates Arctic 2014
One Ocean Suite
Photography, Kayak, Snowshoe
Rates are per person based on double occupancy. Single cabin prices are 1.5 times the cost of the appropriate twin-share prices listed above. For suites, the Single Cabin Occupancy is 2 times the cost of the prices above. All cabins are smoke-free. Smoking is only permitted in designated areas only. Airfare to/from destination is not included. Kayaking option available for $695 per person.
Adventure options must be pre-booked and paid for prior to start of the trip. Space is subject to availability. Some activities require experience.
All trips subject to possible fuel surcharge.