Akademik Shokalskiy was originally designed and built in Finland for polar and oceanographic research. The ship is small, nimble, and ice-strengthened, capable of reaching the nooks and crannies of Antarctica that many larger ships cannot. The vessel is equipped with Zodiacs. On select departures, kayaking is offered.
Carrying a maximum of 54 travelers in quad, triple, twin cabins and suites. All are outside, with a desk, ample storage and windows. Cabins on Decks 4 and 5 have private facilities and cabins on Deck 3 have shared facilities. Public areas include a lounge and bar, lecture room, small library, infirmary, sauna and two dining rooms. European chefs prepare excellent international cuisine, using high-quality provisions from around the world. The comfortable bar is stocked with a good selection of wine and spirits. Views are excellent from the large, open decks and Navigation Bridge (where we are almost always welcome).
Staff & Crew: 30
Length: 65.9 m
Breadth: 12.8 m
Draft: 4.5 m
Propulsion: 2 Diesel ME 3,076-horsepower engines
Ice Class: AS
Cruising Speed: 10 knots in open water
Cabins and Amenities:
* 27 outside cabins, all featuring private or shared facilities.
* Two dining rooms with unreserved seating: buffet-style breakfast with table service; table-service lunch and dinner with main course choices, from a menu that changes daily; cakes served in mid-afternoon; coffee and tea available 24 hours from a self-serve station.
* Newly-renovated presentation room.
* Lounge and bar, open late afternoon and evening with a wide selection of wines and spirits.
* Library with a collection of polar-themed books.
* Ship-to-shore communications via satellite.
* Clinic with licensed doctor.
* Exercise room.
Please note: there is no passenger elevator between decks.